It's that time of year where we need to keep our Immune systems strong so they can fight off all the bad viruses going around. There are two parts of the immune system, our innate immune system works as a general defense against pathogens and our adaptive immune system targets very specific pathogens that the body has already had contact with. These two immune systems complement each other in any reaction to a pathogen or harmful substance.
These are my top recommendations and products I use for myself and my family.
1. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: Knocks out infection! It (make sure it contains the “mother”) can help to boost your immune system because of its antiviral properties. ACV contains potent malic acid. This is a strong antiviral and one reason why many people who drink ACV daily feel their immunity is boosted as they do not experience as many colds or other viral infections. ACV can improve the overall growth of healthy bacteria in your gut, which is a huge factor in a healthy immune system.
Ingredients 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar 8 oz. of water (I like warm or hot) Juice of half a lemon Pinch of cayenne 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey or Manuka honey
*Can add ginger too Directions Mix all ingredients into large glass stir and enjoy.
2. Vitamin C: Not all Vitamin C is the same. You want to use buffered ascorbate vs ascorbic acid. Buffered ascorbate has a neutral pH and not acidic to your cells and it contains minerals. It is a potent antioxidant and a cofactor for a family of biosynthetic and gene regulatory enzymes. Vitamin C contributes to immune defense by supporting various cellular functions of both the innate and adaptive immune system. Vitamin C deficiency results in impaired immunity and higher susceptibility to infections.
*I sell buffered Vitamin C in my practice.
3. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is sometimes called the “sunshine vitamin” because it’s produced in your skin in response to sunlight. It’s a fat-soluble vitamin in a family of compounds that includes vitamins D-1, D-2, and D-3. Low levels of vitamin D have also been associated with frequent infections. In 2009, the National Institute of Health warned that low vitamin D levels are associated with frequent colds and influenza. I like to use Liquid Vit D3 combined w K2 which helps absorb better in the body. This is in a dropper that you take under your tongue that any age can do. No taste. I highly recommend everyone get their Vit D levels checked when they go for physicals, including kids. Sunscreen blocks our ability to absorb it from the sun.
4. Zinc: Zinc is found in cells throughout the body. It helps the immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses. The body also needs zinc to make proteins and DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Since the human body does not store excess zinc, it must be consumed regularly as part of the diet or supplemented. Dietary sources of zinc include red meat, poultry, and fish. I like to take Zinc in pill form usually 25-50 mg. I also sell it in a chewable form with other immune boosters that everyone can take.
5. EPA/DHA: The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 essential fatty acids that a person consumes directly impacts the health of their immune and inflammatory response. When the immune system is triggered (by injury, allergy, or infection) fatty acids are released from the cell membranes. They are converted into anti-inflammatory molecules as part of the body’s natural healing response. Scientific evidence indicates
that fish oil helps to naturally regulate the immune response and support the internal repair systems they operate in response to inflammation. You want to make sure your fish oil is free from mercury or toxins by getting a professional brand which I have.
6. Elderberry: Berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may boost your immune system. Scientists say that it can directly inhibit the virus's entry and replication in human cells, and can help strengthen a person's immune response to the virus. I like organic elderberry syrup or Sambucol chewables.
7. Raw Honey Or Manuka Honey: Raw honey (unpasteurized and unfiltered) boosts your immune system and provides natural energy. According to Dr. Oz, the phytonutrients in raw honey have anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that can help to boost your immune system and fight sickness. Manuka Honey can be important for your immune system as it has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Some research has suggested it may also have antiviral effects and might even help protect your body from flu.
8. Garlic: Garlic (allicin) has the ability to boost your immune system by increasing the rate at which your natural killer cells are made. Natural killer cells are a fundamental part of our non-specific immunity. This means that these cells will kill off all invaders
without the specific targeting that antibodies use to kill pathogens. Roast some garlic in your oven and eat it or use garlic when u sauté veggies or meats. You can also buy garlic in supplement form, I like Allicin, which i sell, but eating the real deal is best!
9. Probiotics: Probiotics are live microorganisms that may be able to help prevent and treat some illnesses. Promoting a healthy digestive tract and a healthy immune system are their most widely studied benefits. These are also commonly known as friendly, good, or healthy bacteria. There are many strains of probiotics out there. I highly recommend a good probiotic with 8 or more strains, 5000 billion CFU's or more, survive stomach acid, and dairy free. Check out my Wellness 1st Probiotic.
10. Ginger: It’s believed that ginger helps to break down the accumulation of toxins in our organs due to its warming effects. It’s also known to cleanse the lymphatic system, our network of tissues and organs that help rid the body of toxins, waste and other unwanted materials. Ginger root and ginger essential oil help with anti-inflammatory
responses in the body. Research shows that it has helped with treating viruses, bacteria and parasites. You can buy ginger tea, grate your own ginger and make a tea, put ginger in your food, or use a herbal tincture or essential oil of ginger and add to your tea, water, ACV drink, etc.
*I also like to you use Echinacea. It's a powerful immune stimulant. I use a mixture of it either with zinc and/or with elderberry (usually in a liquid spray or a chewable). Easy for kids to take.
Check out some of my Professional Supplements in my store. I also can order other products on an as needed basis. I truly am passionate about my clients receiving the best supplements in the industry that will work and are not filled with junk. https://squareup.com/store/wellness-1st
Wishing you all a fantastic winter! Please don't hesitate to ask me questions about any of the above or how I can help you in other ways. I offer a FREE 20 min phone call.